Five months later, Lower North Fork victims await resolution
JEFFERSON COUNTY – Nearly five months after the Lower North Fork Fire ripped apart homes and killed three people, a state task force ordered to investigate the blaze will meet one on one with Jefferson County survivors.
The Lower North Fork Wildfire Commission will meet Monday morning at 9:30am at the state capitol to discuss lessons learned from the 4,000 acre blaze.
“This was started by a group that you and I pay taxes to for their salary, and they’re still collecting their paychecks and we haven’t gotten any help whatsoever from them.” said Sharon Scanlan, a fire survivor who lost her home in the March 26th wildfire.
Investigators later determined the blaze was likely sparked by embers blown across Jefferson County from a controlled burn previously conducted by the Colorado Forest Service.
“This was an activity sanctioned by the state, prescribed by the state, and there should be some responsibility by the state.” said Governor John Hickenlooper in an interview with KDVR on June 4, the day the state approved a task force to look into the fire.
Following Monday’s meeting in Denver, the state task force is set to tour an area of the burn zone followed by a public meeting later that night at Conifer High School to hear from the public firsthand.