GRADY COUNTY, Okla. – An Oklahoma family says they are lucky to be alive thanks to their pet dog “True” who alerted them to a house fire.
Thing is the dog is blind, deaf and only has three legs, reported KFOR-TV.
Katie Crosley told the station she was awoken to the dog’s barking early Sunday as smoke and flames were consuming her cabin.
“I thought he had to go outside,” she said. “When I opened the door, it was a wall of flames.”
An electrical short ignited a fireball on the front porch, barricading Katie and her infant son Jace inside.
They navigated through the smoke and out the back.
The fire victims lost everything, including all the baby supplies they had just collected.
“So that’s the hardest part, having all that stuff from when he was little,” she said.
There is little left here and yet, Katie is grateful for so many things, mostly the disabled Dachshund nobody wanted.
She said, “We’re thankful for him. This could have been a bad deal.”