Pastry Chef Felicia Lewis-Dare from Elway’s Downtown show us how.
Elway’s Downtown Ding Dong Recipe
Devil’s Food Cake
1 ¾ cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 ¾ cups of Cake flour
1 cup cocoa powder (plus extra for dusting)
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 ¼ cups of buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350*F
Spray muffin pans with no stick cooking spray generously and dust with cocoa powder.
Beat sugar, butter, vanilla extract in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time
Mix cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Alternate mixing flour mixture and buttermilk into creamed mixture and beat no more then one minute.
Scoop into muffin pans and bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes clean when inserted in center of cupcake. Let cool completely
Once cupcakes are almost cool start making your ganache
4 cups Heavy Cream
8 cups of semi-sweet chocolate (the smaller the pieces the fast it will melt)
Bring heavy cream and salt to a boil.
Place chocolate in a heat resistant bowl.
Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk the two together. (This can be done with an electric mixer, hand blender or even in a blender. But do not mix too long because it will start to cool down. To keep chocolate hot and smooth place it over a double boiler until need.
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Whip everything with an electric mixer until it reaches stiff peaks.
- Pop all the cupcakes out of the pan. Trim the top of each cupcake off but save each piece and keep it near the bottom piece.
- Hollow out a medium portion of the center of the cupcakes. Fill in the cupcakes with the whipped cream. Be sure not to overfill, you want it to be level.
- Place the tops back on each cupcake. Place the cupcakes on a wire rack evenly spaced apart.
- Slowly pour the warm ganache over each cupcake. Place in refrigerator for a few minute to set up ganache and then pour another layer of warm ganache over cupcakes.
- Place back in refrigerator to set up then use a spatula to remove from wire racks. Store dings dongs in refrigerator until ready to serve.