Toddler dies after being forced to ingest chili powder
APPLE VALLEY, California (KTLA) – A woman has been arrested in the death of a toddler who police say was made to ingest chili powder — perhaps as a punishment.
According to KTLA, Amanda Sorensen, 21, of Apple Valley, was detained early Monday morning on suspicion of child abuse resulting in death.
San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies were called to the 20000 block of Cayuga Road at 4:16 p.m. Sunday for a child suffering from a seizure after ingesting chili powder.
The 2-year-old girl was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Sorensen is believed to be the girlfriend of the child’s father.
An autopsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of death.
Neighbors told KTLA that they have witnessed abuse in the home before.
“They fight like crazy,” one man said. “I went over there one day to help with the car. She came out asking when he was going to get done so they could get the kids from school.”
“He just flew off the handle and just smacked the dog out of her,” he recalled.
Sorensen is being held on $500,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday, Jan. 9.