Westminster apartment explosion traced to gas line
A boiler in a Westminster apartment building blew up Sunday, injuring multiple people and displacing about 80.
DENVER — An explosion in a Westminster apartment building Sunday morning that injured multiple people stemmed from a gas line, Westminster fire officials said Monday.
The explosion at the Lakeview apartments near 3761 W. 68th Ave. injured six people, with three going to the hospital and one person in critical condition, responders said.
A man at the scene said his brother was the person in critical condition. Tingkhan Mounkeophilakem, 49, was in the laundry room about 10 a.m. As he pressed a button on the dryer, an explosion burned his hair, face and hands, the man said.
Firefighters confirmed that the critical-condition victim was still in the hospital Monday. Officials were waiting until his condition improves before they talk to him to see if he can shed light on the cause of the explosion.
Of the 80 people who live in the building, 21 remain barred from returning home. The building is sound, firefighters said Monday, but gas and power have not been restored yet and windows are still blown out. Red Cross was assisting displaced residents.