Evacuations ordered after gas leak, explosion at GJ home
Flames from the fire believed to have been caused by a natural gas leak. (Photo: KREX)
DENVER — A natural gas leak is believed to have caused an explosion and fire at a Grand Junction home that has now forced the evacuation of a nearby elementary school.
The explosion happened at a home on 7th Street and Orchard Avenue, near Colorado Mesa University, reported KREX-TV.
Nearby homes have been evacuated and a slew of fire trucks and ambulances responded to the scene.
The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel reported the explosion happened around 12:50 p.m. Neighbors reported smelling the sulfur scent of natural gas.
At least three people are being treated for minor burns, reported KKCO-TV.
Firefighters are worried the fire may spread to more homes. All residents in a two-block radius are being evacuated, KKCO reported.
Tope Elementary school was evacuated and Grand Junction High School has been put into a shelter-in-place status.