Gas leak leads to home explosion in Grand Junction

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER — A natural gas leak is believed to have caused an explosion and fire at a Grand Junction home that has now forced the evacuation of a nearby elementary school.

The explosion happened at a home on 7th Street and Orchard Avenue, near Colorado Mesa University, reported KREX-TV.

Nearby homes have been evacuated and a slew of fire trucks and ambulances responded to the scene.

The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel reported the explosion happened around 12:50 p.m. Neighbors reported smelling the sulfur scent of natural gas.

At least three people are being treated for minor burns, reported KKCO-TV.

Firefighters are worried the fire may spread to more homes. All residents in a two-block radius are being evacuated, KKCO reported.

Tope Elementary school was evacuated and Grand Junction High School has been put into a shelter-in-place status.