Larimer County Sheriff’s Office investigates mail theft in Bellvue area
LARIMER COUNTY, Colo. — Multiple cases of mail theft were reported and are currently under investigation, said the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office Wednesday.
The thefts occurred in the Bellevue area, including portions of Rist Canyon and along the Poudre Canyon Highway, said Larimer County police spokesman John Schulz.
Victims reported checks and credit cards missing from their incoming mail, which were then used fraudulently in various locations throughout Colorado, added Schulz.
Canyon Utilities, a trash and recycling business in Poudre Canyon, is one of the business experiencing mail theft, Schulz said. He recommended residents who sent in recent payments to make sure those payments were received by Canyon Utilities.
Schulz said police are working with the U.S. Postal Inspector on this investigation.
Police are asking that anyone with information on these mail thefts to contact investigators at 970-498-5170 or call Crime Stoppers at (970-221-6868
The U.S. Postal Inspector offered the following tips to protect mail from theft:
- Never send cash or coins in the mail. Use checks or money orders.
- Promptly remove mail from your mailbox after delivery, especially if expecting checks, credit cards or other negotiable items. If you won’t be home when the items are expected, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your mail.
- Have your local post office hold your mail while you’re on vacation or absent from your home for a long period of time.
- If you don’t receive a check or other valuable mail you’re expecting, contact the issuing agency immediately.
- Always deposit your mail in a mail slot at your local post office or hand it to your letter carrier.
- Consider starting a neighborhood watch program. By exchanging work and vacation schedules with trusted friends and neighbors, you can watch each other’s mailboxes, as well as homes. If you observe a mail thief at work, call the local police immediately, and then contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 877-876-2455