Travelers’ Choice: World’s top hotels
The sea of online travel reviews is daunting. So many, many choices, so many (wildly divergent) opinions.
Review giant TripAdvisor has weeded through millions of traveler reviews to identify its users’ favorite hotels.
SLIDESHOW: World’s top hotels
On Wednesday, the site announced its 2014 Travelers’ Choice Awards. More than 7,000 properties received awards, which were divided into categories including top hotels, bargains, B&Bs and inns, family, luxury, romance and small hotels.
The country with the most award winners? Italy, with 152 hotels. TripAdvisor uses an algorithm that measures the quality and quantity of the ratings from traveler reviews and opinions to identify the Travelers’ Choice properties.
Check out the gallery above for the top 10 winners worldwide in the “Top Hotels” category. The average nightly rate among the category’s award-winners is $366.
Here are the top 10 hotels in the United States:
1. The Grand Del Mar, San Diego
2. French Quarter Inn, Charleston, South Carolina
3. Bardessono, Yountville, California
4. Allison Inn & Spa, Newberg, Oregon
5. Five Pine Lodge & Spa, Sisters, Oregon
6. 21c Museum Hotel Bentonville, Bentonville, Arkansas
7. Tivoli Lodge, Vail, Colorado
8. The Sherry-Netherland Hotel, New York City
9. Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka’upulehu, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
10. The Oxford Hotel, Bend, Oregon
Among the highest rated Travelers’ Choice hotels in other categories for 2014:
World’s top luxury hotel — Akademie Street Boutique Hotel and Guesthouse, Franschhoek, South Africa
World’s best bargain hotel — Castlewood House, Dingle, Ireland
World’s best family hotel — Cavallino Bianco Family Spa Grand Hotel, Ortisei, Italy
World’s most romantic hotel — The Place Luxury Boutique Villas, Koh Tao, Thailand
™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.