Hostage released after 18-hour standoff in Arvada; Suspect killed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Arvada police identified Don Pooley, 34, on Feb. 4, 2014 as the suspect involved in a hostage situation. (Photo: Colorado Department of Corrections)

Arvada police identified Don Pooley, 34, on Feb. 4, 2014 as the suspect involved in a hostage situation. (Photo: Colorado Department of Corrections)

ARVADA, Colo. — A 13-year-old who was taken hostage by a convicted criminal Monday night and held in his home for more than five hours been released.

Julie Hayden reported the teen was escorted from his home just after 11 a.m.  He was taken to an ambulance as a precaution.

Hayden reported that the sister of the suspect asked a police officer just after the rescue if the suspect was alive or not. The officer responded that "he is not alive."

FOX31 Denver has learned that the suspect was Don Pooley, 34, who has a lengthy but not violent criminal record that dates back to 1997.

Pooley's sister told Hayden that he had requested breakfast Tuesday morning, and that she was on the phone with him when police delivered the food around 11 a.m.

The sister said she heard Pooley call out her name, the phone went silent and then she heard what sounded like officers taking the 13-year-old to safety.

Neighbors nearby said they heard a loud bang and saw the 13-year-old being taken from the home. The Arvada police chief said he was rescued by the SWAT team and was unharmed.

Arvada Police Chief Don Wick said the standoff started Monday as a report of a domestic dispute around 5:30 p.m., near 62nd Avenue and Gray.

"As police were arriving, the male fled the house, then ran into and physically entered another home," Wick said.

Wick said the hostage's mother and younger brother were just arriving at the home when "all of this unfolded, and, as a result, were not taken hostage."

However the 13-year-old was taken by Pooley, police said.

Officers swarmed the neighborhood and evacuated neighbors. Negotiators then talked to Pooley, trying to get him to give up. Pooley's sister told Hayden he was holding the teen in an interior room of the home and was afraid of the police.

Pooley's sister stayed in phone contact with Pooley during the night. She said he was crying and that he "didn't want to spend the rest of his life in prison."

Pooley had been monitoring local news reports about the standoff and at one point called Hayden Monday night telling her about the situation. He said he wanted police to move one mile away from the home and "give me a chance to run."

"Let me try. I just wanna run," Pooley said. "If you catch me, good. Then you caught me. If not, then sorry about your luck. Maybe another day."

1 Comment

Comments are closed.