Fire officials: Grass fire north of Fort Collins sparked by power line failure
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Firefighters responded to a wildfire burning north of Fort Collins Friday morning.
A grass fire broke out in the Reservoir Ridge natural area Friday, according to a tweet from the Poudre Fire Authority.
Upon arrival, crews found a five-acre grass fire burning, which PFA said started at about 12:45 p.m., and was being fanned by winds from the west.
By Friday afternoon, PFA reported that the fire, which was officially named Michaud Fire, was under control and crews were in the “mop-up stage.”
A spokesperson for PFA said the blaze was caused by a failure in a nearby power line, and crews were working with Xcel Energy on the case.
The spokesperson added that sparks had hit the ground from the power line, igniting the grass fire.
No structures or residents were threatened by the fire.