Falcon Middle School evacuated due to natural gas leak

(Photo: MGN Online)

(Photo: MGN Online)

PEYTON, Colo. — Students were evacuated from Falcon Middle School Wednesday morning due to a natural gas leak, according to a post on the Falcon School District website.

The district said the middle school closed Wednesday after reports of a strong natural gas smell.

Reports came in shortly before 9 a.m., said the district, prompting an immediate evacuation of the school.

The smell came from a gas line that was cut Wednesday morning during work on a rooftop heating unit.

As of late Wednesday morning, the school district said the smell has diminished, but repairs and inspections continued.

Students were bused to the Falcon High School, where parents and guardians could pick them up with a state-issued identification card. The school district said buses will be available at the end of the day for students who usually take the bus home.

The middle school canceled all activities for the remainder of the day, and said normal schedules will resume Thursday.

Filed in: News

Suggest a correction