Third suspect in Tallman death taken into custody on parole violation

BOULDER, Colo. — Daniel Ortiz, the third suspect in the death of Nathaniel Tallman, was taken into custody in Denver for a parole violation, the Boulder District Attorney’s Office said Tuesday.

Catherine Olguin said Ortiz has not been arrested in connection to the death of Tallman.

Another suspect in the case, Moises Mendez, appeared at a hearing Tuesday, the Boulder Daily Camera reported. Assistant District Attorney Ryan Brackley asked Boulder District Judge Thomas Mulvahill to delay the filing of charges until Friday so they can be done against Mendez and Ortiz together.

Mendez was extradited from San Diego on Friday. He is being held on a $1 million bond for first-degree murder and a $500 warrant on a bail bond violation.

The third suspect, Russell Britton, 58, was charged with first-degree murder and felony murder last week.

Tallman, of Lafayette, was shot to death in January after he had planned to meet one of the suspects for a marijuana deal. Tallman‘s body was found in Wyoming on March 13 after he had gone missing Jan. 23.

According to a police report, Tallman had planned to meet Britton on Jan. 21 “to conduct a marijuana transaction at approximately 7 p.m.”

Phone records from Tallman showed he contacted Britton on the way to the meeting. Investigators talked to Britton, who said Tallman never showed up, the arrest report said. But when detectives searched Britton’s Ford van, they “found blood in the rear section,” the report said.

The blood was matched via DNA analysis to Tallman. It’s unclear the roles Mendez and Ortiz are alleged to have played in the case.