Shopping this weekend? Please keep the less fortunate in mind. Join our toy drive!

Pet owners warned after several poisoned meatballs found in Gunbarrel park

BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. — A warning for pet owners in Boulder County after three dogs ate poisoned meatballs scattered around a Gunbarrel park.

One of those dogs is a 6-month-old Golden Retriever named Amos.

He was on a walk with his owner at Buckingham Green Park about 4:30 p.m. when he ate something before his owner could do anything about it.

“He got one. Then, he got a second. That one she got out of his mouth. And so she got it and it was basically a raw meatball with green stuff in it,” says Amos’ owner, Brandon Weil.

His other owner, snatched a meatball with greenish-blue pellets inside it, but he’d already eaten one.

Tucked inside was suspected rat poison.

Weil rushed him to an animal hospital.

“Somebody took advantage of the fact some dogs, puppies, like to eat anything, especially with meat,” says Weil.

Animal Control officers with Boulder County Sheriff’s Office found two more of the meatballs Wednesday—for a total of six.

The bad beef was scattered throughout the park, under trees and near trails.

Now, investigators want to know who did it and why.

“You’d think the motivation for somebody to do this is somebody who doesn’t like the dogs in the park. We don’t know what their motivation is,” says BCSO Commander Heidi Prentup.

But it’s enough of a threat some dog owners aren’t taking any changes.

“Probably staying on the other side of the street for a while,” says Patricia Velasquez, about her walks with her rat terrier, Riley.

“It is very cowardly to do something like that. Evil,” says Marjean Hansen, of Westminster.

A veterinarian says her dog was poisoned last Monday.

She’s not sure how.

She wonders if Bridget ate something at a nearby park.

The Gunbarrel poisonings make her a little leery.

“They will eat whatever is lying around. It’s not that I’m going to be scared, I’m just going to be more cautious,” she says.

“Come on bud. Let’s not eat all this crap,” says Weil to Amos, who is chewing on bark and grass outside their home.

Amos still loves to chew on whatever he can—even though on Monday, it could have killed him.

His owners only hope police catch the cruel culprit.

“Where is a safe place to go for my dog to get exercise?” questions Weil.

It really eats at him that anyone could harm innocent animals.

“People can be mad. But you don’t do this if you’re mad. You tell somebody why you’re mad. You don’t poison animals. You just don’t do that,” he says.

If there is any chance your dog ate the poison, take it to the vet immediately.

By the time symptoms show, like lethargy, decreased appetite and difficulty breathing, it may be too late to treat.

Anyone with information on the incident should call the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office at 303-441-4444.