FEDERAL HEIGHTS, Colo. — Dogs in danger are rescued by fast-acting firefighters.
The animals were pulled from a fire at The Lodge Apartments on 84th Avenue and Pecos at around 8 a.m. Thursday.
Neighbor Donna Pritt panicked when she saw the fire.
“We hollered that there is two dogs in there and that the owner had already left for work,” she said.
“We took almost like four or five steps inside the front door one of the guys on the hose line found a dog and I dragged the dog out onto the side lawn outside the apartment,” said Ryan Bender, with the Federal Heights Fire Department.
“When that fireman carried that dog out by the legs … my heart sank,” Pritt said.
The chocolate lab who we’re told is named Jade was unconscious and barely breathing.
Fire crews quickly hooked her up to oxygen using a special face mask made specifically for animals.
“It’s got a rubber gasket on the back end here and we just plug it into our oxygen cylinders the same way we would for a person … turn it on and it just kind of makes a cone around their nose so they can breathe,” said Bender.
Crews had never had to use the $15 dollar mask until now.
“It’s a good thing that we had them,” Bender said.
For almost 30 minutes crews worked to stabilize Jade before driving her to a local animal hospital.
A vet there said Jade is doing well, but still on oxygen.
“The fire department responded so quickly and they were really awesome!” Pritt said.
Investigators said the fire started in the kitchen and was an accident.
The dogs are staying at the animal hospital and we’re told the dog owner is getting help from the Red Cross.