More poisoned meatballs found, apparently targeting dogs

Six-month-old Golden Retrieve Amos fell ill on April 14, 2014 after eating a poisoned meatball in a Gunbarrel park.

Six-month-old Golden Retrieve Amos fell ill on April 14, 2014 after eating a poisoned meatball in a Gunbarrel park. (Photo: KWGN)

LONGMONT, Colo. — Police were investigating another apparent case of deliberate dog poisoning Sunday night.

Longmont police  responding to the 400 block of Collyer Street discovered meatballs that appeared to have been tainted with rat poison, the Longmont Police Department reported.

The meat has not yet been tested, but officials said the contamination was “obvious.”

A single dog was thought to have eaten some of the meat, but it did not show any immediate signs of illness.

In April, three dogs were sickened at a park in nearby Gunbarrel after eating similar meatballs.

Police warned residents in the area to check their yards for meatballs, and to take their pets to the vet if they exhibit unusual vomiting or lethargy.