Affidavit: 10-year-old girl fought off would be kidnapper by kicking him in genitals

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Dennis Willmore

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. — A 10-year-old girl was able to fight off a would-be kidnapper by kicking him the genitals, his arrest affidavit said.

The girl’s dog also bit the man on the foot, helping the girl to kick him, the affidavit said.

Investigators said the 10-year-old girl was walking her dog near near 29th Avenue and Chase Street in Wheat Ridge.

She said she saw a man on the stoop of a home staring at her. After the girl passed the home, she noticed the man started following her, the affidavit said.

The girl started waking faster, but the man caught up to her at an alley.

He asked the girl if he could pet her dog and hold him too. The girl replied no, the affidavit said. That’s when he grabbed her by the throat, put his hands over her mouth and dragged her about 36 feet into the alley and behind a trash bin, the affidavit said.

The girl told police that she “could not breathe” and she started screaming for help. Each time she would yell, the man would squeeze harder, the girl said.

The affidavit said the girl was terrified and she thought to herself “who would do this to a child.”

The girl said she thought she was going to die, the affidavit said.

The man had been holding the girl’s dog’s leash, but at some point he unleashed the dog and it bit him on the leg or ankle, the affidavit said.

That’s when the girl kicked the man in the groin. He let her go and ran away, the affidavit said.

While being interviewed by police, the girl at one point hyperventilated while recalling the attack.

The attack happened around 3:40 p.m. About an hour later, police got a call from a man who said he saw a lot of police around his home and he was getting “paranoid.”

The man told police his name was Dennis Willmore and that he was s sex offender who had just gotten out of jail four months ago.

Police decided to take the man into protective custody, but he was “uncooperative, argumentative and spit” on an officer, the affidavit said.