Chef Dan Widmann from Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts shows us how to make Peach and Blueberry Galette.
Peach and Blueberry Galette
Pate Brisee (pie dough)
Ingredients: Yield 1 ea. 10” galette shells
6 oz. AP flour
4 oz. Butter, cold
2 oz. Water, very cold or iced
½ tsp. Salt
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into 1/2″ pieces. Add and toss in the flour mixture. Squeeze into nickel to dime sized pieces (flat and disc shaped), working quickly to keep the butter cold and firm.
- Starting with ¾ of the water, add and mix just enough until dough sticks together when squeezed tightly. Add more water if needed a bit at a time, gently mix to moisten flour evenly and do not overwork. Dough is ready when most of it sticks together when squeezed.
- Dump the dough onto the work surface and bring it together using a pressing or smearing motion and fold the dough back onto itself (do not knead).
- Portion, wrap and refrigerate for at least 60 minutes. Overnight is best. Roll out as needed.
- Shape and chill.
Dough can be refrigerated for a few days or frozen for a few months if well wrapped.
2# Ripe Peaches, peeled and pitted, sliced
1 cup Blueberries
¾ cup Sugar
¾ cup Brown Sugar
¼ -cup Cornstarch
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp. Mace
1 ½ tps. Instant tapioca
2 ½ tsp Fresh lemon juice
1 ½ Tbs. Unsalted butter
1. Peel peaches, pit and slice, place in a medium size bowl. Add lemon juice and toss.
2. In a separate bowl combine sugars, mace, cornstarch & tapioca.
3. Add to peaches and toss, add blueberries and toss again.
4. Place on a 10” round circle of pie dough. Transfer to a parchment lined sheetpan
5. Place on cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven, on the bottom shelf for 30-35 minutes or until center of the pie is bubbling, and crust is golden brown