INDIANAPOLIS -- A 2-year-old pit bull is being called a hero for saving a deaf and sleeping teenager from a raging house fire.
On Wednesday, Ace became an instant hero when 13-year-old Nick Lamb, who is legally deaf, was sleeping without his cochlear implants inside his home.
"He woke me up because I couldn't hear anything and I was asleep and I looked around my room and I smelled smoke and I could see a little bit of smoke in my room," Nick said.
Indianapolis Fire took pictures of the fire when it arrived on the scene.
"There was a bunch of loud popping noises and everything else, but the dog obviously knew something wrong and he went and woke him up," said Lindsay Bernard, Nick's mother.
Nick was in his bedroom on the second floor. He says when Ace woke him up, he quickly grabbed one of his two cochlear implants and they escaped.
"I took a breath and I went downstairs with Ace and the whole house was covered in smoke and a little bit of fire," Nick said.
The Bernard family says they have so much more to be thankful for.
"I would have never seen this from him," said James Bernard, Nick's father. "I didn't see this coming."
Investigators think the fire might have started in the garage and estimate the damage at $175,000.