Teen has close call when smartphone has meltdown

Smartphone may have overheated, giving sleeping teen a scare

Smartphone may have overheated, giving sleeping teen a scare

A 13-year-old girl in Texas had a close call after her smartphone had a meltdown.

Ariel Tolfree woke up to the smell of burning plastic and smoke. She found that her Samsung Galaxy S4 slipped under her pillow when she was sleeping and it started melting through the bedding.

“The whole phone melted, the plastic the glass — you can’t even tell it was a phone.”

Samsung says its phones are safe and points out the battery in the girl’s phone was a replacement, not a Samsung original.

The company is investigating what happened and has offered to replace the phone and damaged bedding.