Affidavit: Mom accused of child abuse got drunk, woke up to beaten infant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- The mother of a 2-month-old who died Thursday night of suspected child abuse said that she got drunk the night the infant was beaten and woke up the next morning not remembering what happened, her arrest affidavit said.

Kelsy Newell-Skinner is just 21 but she has four children all under 5 and now faces child abuse charges and remains in police custody.

According to her arrest affidavit, police were called to Children's Hospital in Aurora for a child that had been transferred there from Parker Adventist Hospital.

The baby was brain dead and had multiple injuries including severe bruising on her head, a swollen left eye, fractured ribs and what doctors thought was a bite mark on her left thigh.

The affidavit said Newell-Skinner texted her ex-boyfriend around noon on Sunday asking him to come to the apartment.

The ex-boyfriend is the father of three of her children.

One of the text messages to the ex-boyfriend indicated that "she must have been very drunk last night because she just woke up and the baby had been beaten," according to the affidavit.

Newell-Skinner texted that she "did not even remember last night and she felt horrible" and that "the baby's head was banged up and her eyes were bruised and swollen shut."

The ex-boyfriend said he arrived at the apartment on East Hampden Avenue and was told by Newell-Skinner that the baby had been beaten, but she did not say by whom.

Later that day, Newell-Skinner's mother arrived at the apartment. The mother saw the injuries and took the baby to Parker Adventist Hospital.

Newell-Skinner ran from her apartment at that point, the affidavit said.

The baby's father told police that he had last seen his daughter on Saturday evening before he left for work.

According to the affidavit, the father said he got into an argument with Newell-Skinner and decided to stay at his mother's home for the night.

He told police he got a text message from Newell-Skinner around 4 p.m. Sunday saying she was going to jail, the affidavit said.

He said he later learned about the child's injuries.


Comments are closed.