3 people say they unknowingly ingested marijuana-laced candy at Denver County Fair

DENVER — A trip to the Denver County Fair ended up with several people saying they were given a chocolate bar that had marijuana in it. FOX31 Denver talked to three of them Wednesday. Two of them had to go to the hospital.

They all say they became extremely sick after sampling “Full Melt” candy bars, handed out by the LivWell vendor at the fair’s pot pavilion during the weekend.

The fair had a strict “no pot” policy.

And all three say the vendor specifically told them there was no marijuana in the candy.

“They told us there was nothing in them. They were free samples anyone could have grabbed. I asked the vendor twice and they told me no there’s nothing in them,” says Kari Mitchell.

It was a big scare for all three of them. They did not enjoy the effects they felt and doctors say it can be dangerous when you eat something and you don’t realize it has marijuana in it.

Two men went to the hospital and tested positive for THC. Everyone is OK now.

The company, the fair and Denver police are all looking into how this happened.

The company says it intends to pay the medical bills for the people who were affected.

4 comments

  • D Edmond

    He is the only one to blame for his results. He stated that he ate “5 or 6 chocolate bars on an empty stomach”. Marijuana should have a warning label for idiots.

  • Bob

    Another point is every vender should be inspected to insure compliance. Where were the officials running the fair you don’t just sell licences take fee’s and walk away counting the money. There jobs is double check and do walk through inspections . Placing the blaming soley on the vender and not place equal blame on the people running the fair is one sided. A point to make was the wording of the contract. Did it state no marijuana or no marijuana based products. A lawyer can chew some holes if the “no pot” policy is not specific and all encompassing.

Comments are closed.