Shopping this weekend? Please keep the less fortunate in mind. Join our toy drive!

10 years after attack, settlement reached in Moore-Bertuzzi lawsuit

bertuzzi

TORONTO — A lawsuit over a vicious on-ice attack by Todd Bertuzzi against former Avalanche player Steve Moore has been settled, more than 10 years after the incident in Vancouver, British Columbia, the Toronto Star reported Tuesday.

Terms of the out-of-court settlement were not disclosed, but Moore’s lawyers said at a hearing in Ontario Superior Court earlier this year they were seeking $68 million in damages from Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks.

Bertuzzi slugged Moore from behind, sending him crashing to the ice face first and leaving him with a concussion and fractured vertebrae. Moore said the Canucks had put a bounty on him after he checked Markus Naslund in an earlier game.

Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to criminal assault causing bodily harm in 2006 and was sentenced to one year of probation and 80 hours of community service.

“It has been incredibly difficult and stressful for him.  . . . He was pleased and very relieved that the matter has been settled,” Bertuzzi lawyer Geoff Adair told the Star. “Obviously, we consider it fair and equitable or we wouldn’t have agreed to it.”

“We are pleased that the resolution of this matter allows the parties to turn the page and look to the future,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said.

Moore told The Canadian Press earlier this year that he still suffers from headaches and low energy.

“I lost my entire career in my rookie year,” he said. “I think any player put in that situation would do the same thing. I can’t recover anything else. I can’t recover my career, the experience of living out my dream from the time I was two and half years old of playing in the NHL.”