ADAMS COUNTY, Colo. — Eight horses died in an early-morning barn fire Saturday, Brighton Fire Rescue said.
Crews from Brighton and the South Adams County Fire Department were dispatched about 2 a.m. for a possible grass fire near East 112th Avenue and Picadilly Road.
But firefighters found the fire was actually at East 118th Avenue and Picadilly and that it was barn fire.
Firefighters got it under control, but eight horses could not be rescued. The barn was declared a total loss and junk cars in front of the barn also burned.
Brighton Fire Rescue said the fire was started by an overloaded extension cord. It was deemed accidental.
No injuries were reported.