3 Legacy High football coaches still hospitalized day after deadly bus crash

BROOMFIELD, Colo. -- Three Legacy High School football coaches were identified and remained hospitalized with "significant injuries" Monday, one day after a bus carrying them and players was involved in a deadly crash at Denver International Airport.

The 15 students who suffered minor injuries are expected to be OK. All of them were treated at hospitals and released Sunday night. A few suffered bumps and bruises, and a few required stitches.

Three of the coaches, who were identified Monday by Adams 12 Five Star Schools district, remained hospitalized, Horizon High School football coach Frank Ybarra said.

Coach Wayne Voorhees suffered a fractured skull, but he is conscious and talking. He is in ICU because of swelling, Ybarra said.

Matt Kroupa, who was sitting behind the bus driver who was killed, suffered a broken hip, broken pelvis and broken jaw. He also suffered a skull fracture, Ybarra said.

A third coach, Kyle Rider, suffered a broken clavicle, a broken nose and several cuts on his body that will require several stitches, his wife wrote on Facebook. He also is missing a few teeth.

Crisis counselors were brought to the campus for those who needed the services and many have taken to Twitter, using the hashtag #LegacyStrong.

"It's a traumatic experience the students went through (Sunday)," an Adams 12 Five Star Schools district spokesman said. "The students have been rallying around the football players."

"Everybody was still upset about the whole thing. They couldn't believe that this had actually happened," senior Emily Stockhus said. "It could've been so much worse."

RELATED: Legacy High School principal letter to school's community

The crash happened at the airport's east terminal just before 4 p.m. Sunday after the driver ran off the right side of the roadway, the Denver Police Department said.

The varsity and junior varsity teams were returning from a trip to Chino Hills, Calif., where they played games last week.

As three of the buses were leaving the airport, one of them turned around and headed back to the east terminal's passenger pickup area.

Police said Monday at a news conference they still don't know why the bus driver, 43-year-old Kari Chopper, turned around.

Police speculated Sunday that Cooper might have experienced a medical emergency and was attempting to get help. Her husband said Monday she did not have any medical conditions and the school district said she passed her most recent physical in May.

"There's a big mystery," Denver police Sgt. Mike Farr said. "No one knows for certain."

Farr said it's possible police won't every know for sure whey the crash happened "because our main witness is dead."

Police are looking at all potential factors, from the driver's medical history to whether there was a malfunction with the bus. None of the passengers said there was a problem on board until the bus went off the road.

Farr said the bus was going 30-40 mph at the time of the crash, which he described as "significant." The speed limit in the area is about 15 mph.

He added the school district has been "very cooperative" with the investigation.

Students at Chino Hills High school tweeted and photo and a message of support Monday.

Friday's homecoming game against Prairie View High School is still scheduled to be played.